Scholarship Program 1
Who can apply?
For the scholarship programme 1 of KAAD you can apply if you:
- come from a developing or emerging country in Africa, Asia, the Middle East or Latin America and are currently living there
- have a university degree and professional experience from your home country
- want to acquire a master's degree or a PhD at a German university or do a post-doctoral research project (2-6 months for established university lecturers) at a German university
- are a Catholic Christian (or general belong to a Christian denomination). Candidates from other religions can apply if they are proposed by Catholic partners and can prove their commitment to interreligious dialogue
- possess German language skills before starting the studies (KAAD can provide a language course of max. 6 months in Germany).
What does KAAD expect from you?
- Above-average performance in studies and research
- The orientation of your studies or research towards permanent reintegration in your home region (otherwise the scholarship is turned into a loan),
- Religious and social commitment (activities) and willingness to inter-religious dialogue.
KAAD is working with focus- and partner countries in your region. There are so-called Partner Committees in these countries and applications are channelled via them. Applications from other countries can be considered only in exceptional cases.
For more information about your region, visit the following sites:
Marcela Bustamante Torres (Colombia)
Marcela Bustamante studied Law in her hometown of Bogotá. Before going to Germany, she practiced law in Colombia and was involved in a number of research projects. Supported by a KAAD-scholarship she completed the master program "Interdisciplinary Latin American Studies" at the Freie Universität Berlin between 2006 and 2008. Following professional activities in Washington D.C. and Lima (Peru) she returned to Bogota in 2012, where she now works for the "Defensoría del Pueblo de Colombia" - a government institution which operates autonomously in the field of defending and promoting human rights.
She is also one of the organizers of the congress "Paz y Justicia Reconciliación Tradicional" we have planned for the month of February 2016 at the Pontificia Universidad Javeriana in Bogotá. During that event our alumni plan to establish a KAAD-network of lawyers and political scientists in Latin America.